Friday 10 May 2013

Late night eats

Most of the time life follows a fairly predictable routine; wake, breakfast (oatmeal based) , prep for work, grab a coffee on the go, work, snack (muffin with fruit), work, lunch (generally from two or three day's prepared in advance from home), work, home, exercise routine, dinner, prepare lunch for tomorrow prep for the next day, read, and retire for the evening. Lately I've been getting meditation in before breakfast and some writing in after the exercise routine. But otherwise it's pretty same-same.

Nothing very exciting, I know.

Every now and then something comes along which changes the routine. Could be anything. I might have worked later, or needed to get some paperwork dealt with - accounting and payroll - grrr! Or maybe decided to stop somewhere on the route home, shopping for something, or just maybe I've just 'chucked the whole routine thing' and go for a wander in the neighbourhood and take some time to look around. I do that from time to time. it;s spring. Flowers and shrubs are blooming and with the evening light, some inspiring random moments of beauty can be seen - stuff that makes me go "Wow, isn't nature wonderful when we stop and take the time to notice it!"

Anyway, for whatever reason I find myself running short of time, and if honest inspiration, to prepare dinner for myself. What to do? What to do?

Sure there are a lot of restaurants whose kitchen offer late evening dinner options. Few are able to meet the needs of a vegan. However, in Vancouver this is changing, slowly but surely.

A friend recently reminded me of The Wallflower. I had eaten there a year ago and not been back since. Not because of the food or service or anything like that, more a case of not being into dining out. Well I'm into dining out again.... so I went back. A good call. (Thanks Dani.)


It's a friendly place that offers foods for all people: omnivores, vegetarians, vegans, celiacs, the lot. The kitchen is open late - midnight methinks. The multi-page menu has a page of all vegan options and the daily special chalkboard always has a vegan special.

So far I've enjoyed their Vegan Mushroom Bruschetta, Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Penne and from the daily special board, their Sunset Burger.

If you are out and about later in the evening and feeling peckish, I'd recommend stopping into the Wallflower.




No comments:

Post a Comment