Saturday 6 July 2013

The selling - and buying - of stuff so you can eat veggies

I think my father would agree with my assertion that I have always tended towards 'less stuff' in my life. If I don't think I really need it, I'm not likely to buy it. That's not to say I don't splurge from time to time on stuff that, after a while I realize was a complete waste of money. Because I do. I can be impulsive in many areas of life.

More than a few friends and family members probably thought my 'going vegan' would be one of those 'phases' I'd go through, diving deep and then surfacing to discover I really wasn't that interested in that. Prior to changing my diet I didn't really talk about it at all, but for several years it was in the back of my mind. I knew it was going to happen. I just didn't know when.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Anyone who spends any time with their nose in vegan cookbooks, magazines and on the internet looking for advice on how to prepare meals for a plant-based diet will quickly get the idea that there are a few 'essential' pieces of equipment everyone needs. Essential. Needs. You are not going to make it without them. This is the message.

Indeed, I recently had a conversation with a friend of mine about this very thing. Kelly is a well traveled tri-athelete who has recently adjusted her diet from vegetarian to raw vegan. While prepping dinner of a salad and a raw lassagne, (which were delicious, btw) we discussed kitchen 'needs'.

She has all the mod cons recommended by experts in their cookbooks, magazines and web articles; the Vitamix, the juicer (well we both have the same model Breville), the dehydrator, and the food processor.

Me? I have the juicer mentioned above, a Cuisinart Smart Stick hand blender, and a Magic Bullet Blender (no link for this one, the TV ad style web site I find obnoxious). Obviously we both have chopping boards and knives. I do have a 35+ year old Braun blender/mixer combo, but I've not had the need to use it.

My diet is fairly simple. For the summer I've been tending towards raw, but come fall and winter, I'll probably move towards more cooked meals (ratatouille, soups, and stir-fry variations being the core). So what do I really use in the kitchen?

I know some people swear by food processors. Yes, they dice, they slice, they puree and whole load more things, I'm sure and as quick as you can press a button - it's done! But I have a knife! I mean we are talking veggies here people! OK, perhaps I am a little different (some say "uh huh"). I have been playing in the kitchen since before I was ten, which was a long time ago. Slicing, dicing and the like with a knife is second nature. I don't have - or want a food processor. Besides, food processors don't core, de-pit, or de-seed. And then you have more stuff to wash. I'm happy with my knife. Simple to use, flexible and super easy to clean!

A dehydrator. Hmmm.... not having played with one, so I can't say whether or not one is needed. I have yet to run into a situation where a menu item demands that, but then again, I don't make cheesecakes, pies or pizzas that use those dehydrated ingredients to make crusts. If I were to dry my own fruits, (they are more portable that way) then I could see myself with one.... for now, let's say no.

Juicer. By golly yes! I have a fresh green juice/smoothie every day. My standard juice contains, two bunches of kale, three carrots, four stalks of celery, and a large lemon. Variations include adding peppers, chard, beet, spinach, ginger, and granny smith apples. Breville makes a good unit, easy to clean and operate. I picked mine up off Craigslist for half off retail from a couple that bought one and used it 3-4 times over a year and decided to make some room in their downtown condo.

The Magic Bullet is also a hand down from a friend who wasn't using it. Daily plant based shakes (see my previous post) are a breeze with this thing. Super easy to use and clean. Quick and simple - the way I like it. It also has the advantage of being a relatively small package which makes it easy to travel with.

The Smart Stick Hand Blender from Cuisinart was a give from my parents this past Christmas. Wow! What a handy little thing! Makes quick work of pureeing almost anything. Hummus is a staple for me, as are soups, particularly in the winter. So much easier than using a blender. And again, so much easier to clean. And it takes up so little space!

I think I see a pattern here. Easy to use. Easy to clean. Small and compact. Simple. Like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment